Skip to main content

My first loco was a 2025 with 4 wheel trailing truck and no magnetraction which leads me to believe it was produced in 1952.  However, I remember it having a smoke bulb.  Basically the only time it would dissolve a smoke pellet would be if the loco was placed in neutral and voltage was cranked up— Then a trickle of smoke would rise from the stack.  My trains were lost in a house fire when I was 12 so I only have memory to go on but this has been puzzling me since I returned to the hobby 40 years ago.  Could this have been done at a service center?  As far as I know the smoke bulb was used in 1946 only.  I appreciate any light that can be shed on this mystery.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is most likely slightly skewed memory. After Lionel retired the smoke bulbs, they still used a type of pellet with a resistive heater and the same vicinity as the headlight bulb. It is highly unlikely that a service station would go through all the required effort to back date a modern locomotive (for the time) to a smoke bulb style setup. Furthermore, The 2025 was not released until 1947 and thus would not have originally been equipped with a smoke bulb.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.