Skip to main content

I've got a 2056 acquisition with a busted collector. Olsens states that that part is 2046-116, but that part seems to only have tabs on one side, where mine definitely has tabs on both sides. After scouring my sources, it looks like it is a 224E-90/226E-91. Anyone here with exacting experience/knowledge on this matter?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

To add to your puzzle - postwar collector plates had tabs on both sides. Modern era collector plates only have the tabs on one side. I think that started with the 8206. Maybe that is all that is available these days. (Or did Lionel switch back?)

I have used the new part to make repairs.

Otherwise, you will likely need to look for a used part.

I don't mind a used part - it just needs to be serviceable.

Here is a 224E-90 that shows the 4 tabs:

It seems to be used on 224, 224E, 225, 225E, 226, 226E, 675, 2025 and 2035 locomotives and is the same as the 226E-91.

The 2055-115 seems to cross reference with the 224E-90, and the 2046-116 seems cross with the 2055-115.

Image result for 2055 collector

Note, this image has a smooth side, with 2 tabs on the other.

Main Questions:

1) Can a 224E-90  (or equivalent) work in a 2056?

2) Where can I get a Frame Spreader?

3) Is there a better way to replace the collector besides a frame spreader?

I've used Train Tender's frame spreader multiple times successfully. As Teledoc noted, it is a little tricky. I think it's a bit easier to use when the wheels/axles are removed (allows more spread) but still works with wheels in place. You'll want to place the spreader jaws as close to one of the fiber plate tabs as possible and carefully begin spreading. You probably won't be able to spread the frame quite wide enough so use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry the tab on one side out of and away from the slot. Loosen the spreader tool and repeat the procedure on the other tab. To install the new plate, locate the tabs into the slots on one side of the frame and reverse the procedure.   

TeleDoc posted:

CW, I think rickoshay pretty much covered how to use the spreader tool.  Like he mentioned, you do have to use a flat blade screwdriver, in conjunction with the spreader.  You swear you need 3 hands at times, but just using a screwdriver, tends to damage the fiber board.  You have to get used to using it.

Thanks guys. I have the spreader and some candidates to try again when I get back home.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.