Skip to main content

As shown previously on the electrical forum, I purchased the 300 LED strip of LED lights.  It comes with an AC/DC adapter with a 12 volt output.  Using the adapter with the plug provided and attached all 300 LEDs are on.

This strip of LEDs is designed so that it can be cut after every 3rd LED.  By the way this strip has a self-adhesive back to attach the LEDs where you would like them attached.

My Question: I want to cut some of the LEDs off in three's to use in buildings, subways and  on waiting platforms.  I will be controlling some of these separately with on/off switches.  Thus some will be on while others will be off.  I want to wire these in parallel.

Will the LEDs need to be protected (with resistors or in some other fashion) for use in this way.  [I will use the AC/DC Adapter provided to power all these lights.

Information: Working Current/meter: 0.35-0.4 A; Output power: 20-24 W/ 5 Meters; 300 LEDs on a 5 Meter strip.

Can I proceed with the application as I mentioned above without any protection for the LEDs?

IMG_3199

IMG_3199

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_3199
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was going to post my own topic, then I see this one at the top of the electrical forum.

I'm taking the LED plunge. Largely because my Auto-Train is sucking up so much power with just 9 Superliners (and 12 autoracks), a single Williams Genesis won't even try to move it. When I got to 8 amps of current on the Z4000 and the loco only barely pulling out the coupler slack, I shut things down. I'll have to modify the reverse unit to start in neutral so I can double-head with a PS1 Genesis.

I have a reel of LED's on the way, and am aware of some other stuff to add. I am running this particular train conventionally, but at some point I will upgrade my Genesis diesels, a Proto-1 and a Williams, to Proto 2 (I provided some Amtrak horn recordings to MTH in hopes of getting those wimpy-sounding horns upgraded), so these cars will eventually run under DCS/TMCC.

I'm aware of the 20Ma current regulator, and a bridge rectifier. This train is being operated conventionally, but will eventually see its locomotives upgraded to DCS. For that reason, I understand should install a choke on each car to keep the lighting circuits from degrading the signal. I don't forsee much movement of this train under 12 volts owing to its weight (it may still need 2 locos to move it after all this) so the changes for conventional operation (to keep the lights on below 12 volts) may not be applicable. I guess I should put a capacitor in there as well.

So, in a nutshell, I'm looking for appropriate links from Mouser's site for the recommended hardware to start with (rectifier, regulator, choke and capacitor). I'll eventually upgrade the rest of my passenger cars, but for now these Superliners are the guinea pigs, so to speak.

One thing I haven't seen covered--since the Superliners have lights on both levels, can the strips on the two levels be hooked up in series off the one regulator, or should the two strips be in parallel?

---PCJ

The strips are wired in parallel.  When you look at the way they are connected end-to-end, there is a bus running down each side, so all of the three LED segments on the strip are in parallel when you use them as a single string.

I normally run the passenger car lights on less than the full rated current.  With just one strip down the center of my cars, 20MA on three groups was simply too bright!  You can fine-tune the current to get the illumination you desire.

I believe that I'll be running two strips in these cars. In the length of a Premier Superliner, I'm assuming 3/top 3/bottom or 4/top 2/bottom. 

So, if running 3 groups at 20Ma was too bright for the most part, then running six groups off the same regulator means I'll still have useful amounts of light if while running conventionally the track voltage dips below 12V (assuming I wire the cars for command operation)?

---PCJ

Probably nothing too bright--prototype coach lighting isn't very visible in daylight. I ran across a discussion on prototype Superliners, and I can see now that I'll only need one or two tri-LED strips on the lower level.

I've never fooled around with variable regulators--I'm just getting around to understanding the function and use of the current-regulating component that was brought up in the last big LED thread (via the JCstudios article). You're saying I'd need the variable one in order to get an output under 20Ma? I skimmed the PDF on the regulator chip you mention, but I may have missed the part on how to connect it to resistors to get the desired current

---PCJ

I agree with the previous post, use one LM317 for all the lights.  If you end up with a total of less than 40ma, the LM317L in the TO-92 package will do the job.  Otherwise, I'd also go with the LM317T, it'll handle several hundred MA without a heatsink of any kind.

On one of my conversions, I removed the resistors for each three LED group to have a lower voltage capability.  I also suggest considering a voltage doubler for conventional running to replace the diode bridge.

stan2004:

I was assuming one regulator per car. Currently I'm waiting on my reel of LED's to arrive so I can determine how many 3-unit strips I'll need to evenly light up a Premier Superliner. I'm not too concerned about the lights dimming at low speeds since these cars are dedicated to a heavy consist (Auto-Train) and won't do much running at low voltages. I'd just like to be able to run them conventionally at the outset, but be compatible with DCS operation once the locos assigned to them get upgraded.

The other details are hashing out a 'shopping list' of what other components I'll need so I can place one order with Mouser for enough parts to upgrade all 13 of my MTH Superliners (and possibly four K-Line ones--but those won't be part of the train I'm assembling). If this works out, I'll use the same arrangement on the rest of my passenger/commuter/subway fleets.  

So far as the initial Superliner project goes, each car may actually have less than 18 LED's since the lower level only has "passenger space" between the trucks, so there will be fewer lights on the lower level vs the upper. I expect to have the lower level strip jumpered to the end of the upper-level one, or vice versa.

Is the electrolytic capacitor in your photo of the "virtually flicker-proof" size?

---PCJ

Last edited by RailRide
Originally Posted by RailRide:
Is the electrolytic capacitor in your photo of the "virtually flicker-proof" size?

The cap in photo 470uF/35V.

This is a Your Mileage May Vary situation. It depends on how many LEDs and at what current, track voltage, how clean your pickups/wheels/tracks are, your personal tolerance for flicker especially over switches, and so on. 

That said, as John suggests, you need to be in the 1000's of uF (35V) for what you're doing (or what I think you're doing!).  Determine where you have space in your car and you'll probably need to use multiple (in parallel) caps. I'd plan to experiment with more/less capacitance before settling on a final answer and placing the "big" Mouser order.

As mentioned previously, if you can access/alter that 150 ohms resistor, you can get back a few Volts of headroom.  This means the same capacitor can power the LEDs for longer during a power loss. There's some arcane math we ought not to get in to, but a few Volts of additional headroom can translate to, say, 1000 uF of bonus capacitance so it's something to consider.  I don't know what strip you have but the resistor is probably a "1206" (0.12" x 0.06") surface-mount package which are a few pennies each at Mouser.

Well, if brightness is related to current, I probably want to run them at less than full voltage, and going by your experience, maybe a bit less than 20Ma. The prototypes didn't run theirs blindingly bright (that's for Horizon cars ), so neither will I. It's far from a done deal that there'll actually be 18 lights in each car. It's quite possible that I'll have fewer than that. I'll know once the LED's arrive, probably 3/30.

---PCJ

For the record, an LM317 in current mode eats up 1.2V of additional headroom.  That is the amount of voltage drop across the current sensing resistor in series with the load.

A 10,000 uF capacitor will drop only 1 volt in 1/2 second at 20 mA.

I can't believe anyone can run those LED strips at 20 mA per section!  I am using 20 mA total to drive 9 or 10 of the 3-LED groups.

Jumpering out the resistor on the strip segments basically lowers the voltage required for each three LED segment.  Of course, I discovered since I didn't want to run at full brightness anyway, that was a redundant step after the first set of passenger cars.

I agree with Dale here, if you run them at 20ma each, it'll look like the sun has settled inside your cars!

Originally Posted by Dale Manquen:
For the record, an LM317 in current mode eats up 1.2V of additional headroom.  That is the amount of voltage drop across the current sensing resistor in series with the load.

It remains my opinion that if there's to be a single regulator per car, it should be a voltage regulator such as the LM317T using 2 resistors as shown earlier. In this way, you do not incur the voltage tax across the current-sensing resistor. 

If a current regulator, you assume the fixed current will equally split into your 4, 5 or 6 strips. It depends on each group of 3 LEDs having identical characteristics. Maybe, maybe not.  Plus, if you add or remove a strip, the current per strip changes proportionally.

If a voltage regulator, the resistors in each strip act as ballasts of sorts to demote variations in the LED characteristics. The resistors serve to equalize the currents into the 4, 5 or 6 strips given inevitable variations in LED characteristics. If you add or remove a strip, the current per strip does not change.  

As Dale says, if you only need a few mA per strip, the voltage drop across the 150 ohm resistor becomes less relevant. I appreciate the simplicity and cost of shorting out the resistor with a piece of wire. But if you do choose to fuss with the resistor for improved low-voltage operation try, say, 50 ohms - about 2 cents from Mouser.

Not industry standard, but this should clarify. I moved the power input and output wires to share the same five-contact groups. The description on the back of the breadboard package suggested that the top and bottom rows were arranged into eight groups of 25 interconnected contacts.
LEDckt-test02
I based this on the first schematic you posted.

---PCJ

Attachments

Images (1)
  • LEDckt-test02
Last edited by RailRide
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.