Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had one that was purchased new in 2000.

i recently sold it in favor of the ZW-l.

I would suggest springing for the L.

It has all of the same features as the C plus:

self contained. No need for bricks and the tangle of cords.

More robust - handles feel solid. The C feels flimsy and fragile.

finer speed control.

Warranty coverage - the C could have board issues that might not be fixable.

I changed out my ZW-C for a ZW-L when the L models came out. I love my L unit but I know many people that are happy with the C. The L does have the advantage of finer speed steps and you can reset the breaker via a Legacy/TMCC remote. For me it was a pain to climb under my layout to reset circut breakers. Be aware the L is a beast but in a good way and you get volt and amp meters also.

cjack posted:

I've wanted to want an L but the voltages do not come up when you power up the L like they do on the C.  You have to raise them each time you power up the L.

I know this has been discussed in detail here before, but I'll add it in case Trainlover9943 finds that aspect attractive for the C.  I'm thinking your statement is comparing TMCC/Legacy (generically "command" in my below comments) operation of the transformers, right?  (so far discussion above has not specified command vs. conventional operation)

For the C, it's half one way, half the other when the transformer is set for all 4 handles with individual control (assuming operation in command mode).  The inner handles will start at whatever voltage you have them set to when the transformer is powered on in command mode.  The outer handles will need to be dialed up with the remote to achieve the voltage the handles are set for.

As you said, the L will need all 4 handles dialed up with the remote in command mode, they will start at zero until you dial up the knob.

If one does not have any command control bases hooked up, I'm thinking (but did not just re-test it to confirm) either would power up at whatever voltage the handles are set for.  (All 4 handles of either transformer.  I think the MTH Z4000 is the only transformer that won't let you power up with voltage already dialed up even in conventional operation (it forces the handles to be started from zero when powered on as a safety measure). 

-Dave

Last edited by Dave45681

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.