Skip to main content

Good afternoon,

I finally have a loop of Standard Gauge track, and have been running various trains, some of which haven't been run in decades. In the course of unpacking and running trains, I discovered something I've never seen before: my red/green 517 caboose has its light on the end opposite the cupola, instead of the same end. There's no evidence that the roof has ever been removed, so I wonder if this might make the list of "New and Unusual Items Seen at York." Has anyone else seen a 517 like this before?

Happy Railroading!!

John

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by BlueComet400:
...In the course of unpacking and running trains, I discovered something I've never seen before: my red/green 517 caboose has its light on the end opposite the cupola, instead of the same end. ...

i have exactly one #517 caboose and this is where the light is on mine.  when i got it, there was a clear bulb in the socket, so i never thought it was an EOT marker anyway.

cheers...gary

Originally Posted by BlueComet400:

Good afternoon,

I finally have a loop of Standard Gauge track, and have been running various trains, some of which haven't been run in decades. In the course of unpacking and running trains, I discovered something I've never seen before: my red/green 517 caboose has its light on the end opposite the cupola, instead of the same end. There's no evidence that the roof has ever been removed, so I wonder if this might make the list of "New and Unusual Items Seen at York." Has anyone else seen a 517 like this before?

Happy Railroading!!

John

The roof is easily removed with no damage done.  I have 517 that have/had the light as you describe, correct as planned, and with sockets on both ends.

By no stretch is any of these configurations rare, they are hardly notable...factory errors are plausible and reasonable... but they are not more valuable.... mainly because Lionel manufactured  so many of the 517 caboose.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.