Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good eye Chris.  Indeed it was an FP7 and 2014 will be the year I take delivery of Sunset's PRR ABA FP7's in single stripe DGLE.  The rare thing in the FP7 photo is the 5 stripe Tuscan red F7 B unit.  On the entire PRR roster there were only six PRR F units painted Tuscan red - 4 FP7 A units, and 2 F7 B units. 

For nice video footage of PRR FP7's (and H10's) check out the Penn Valley Pictures The S&L Story. The video was assembled from Clarence Weaver 16mm color film and has extensive coverage of two special event passenger trains on the branch in the mid 1950's - one pulled by Tuscan red ABA FP7's and the other DGLE ABA FP7's - clean perfectly matched sets..

Ed Rappe

Last edited by Keystoned Ed

In 1957 we would sneak out of the school playground to the RR tracks running alongside and put pennies on the track. The trains were headed into or out from new Orleans about 12 miles away. If a steamer came along it would knock the coins off with the pilot wheels but when a diesel hit them - Flat as the proverbial pancake!

The next school year there were no more steamers...

1957.....hummmm.....I was midway through Kindergarten. On New Year's Day......January 1.....I was likely sled riding with the Darrin Boys, then running my Marx KCS set under the Christmas Tree. I don't have "total recall memory"......it's just that in the winter about all I did was play with trains indoors and sled ride outdoors.....no TV for me....too boring!

Sorry, but I can not find my little log booklet from 1957, nor 1958. Going from memory, I was still in High School in Chatham, NJ, so all my "Rail Fanning" was done on the DL&W, pretty much between Hoboken and Port Morris. 

Now, about Mr. Zemke! I wonder if it is the same Al Zemke that I used to rail fan with? He was a bit older than I, and was a music leader in a local church, plus he wrote the song "Transfusion" back in the 1950s. I also remember that Al was taking 35MM color slides, when all I, and the rest of my buddies could afford, was B&W.

Al took a lot of really nice color shots, back in the day. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by Hot Water:

Sorry, but I can not find my little log booklet from 1957, nor 1958. Going from memory, I was still in High School in Chatham, NJ, so all my "Rail Fanning" was done on the DL&W, pretty much between Hoboken and Port Morris. 

Now, about Mr. Zemke! I wonder if it is the same Al Zemke that I used to rail fan with? He was a bit older than I, and was a music leader in a local church, plus he wrote the song "Transfusion" back in the 1950s. I also remember that Al was taking 35MM color slides, when all I, and the rest of my buddies could afford, was B&W.

Al took a lot of really nice color shots, back in the day. Thanks for posting.

Hot Water,

In one of the photos it shows some metal barrels stacked on what looks like railroad ties.  What were those for?  Matt

Hot Water Jack: was that the "Transfusion" done by Nervous Norvous? I used to listen to that early rock n roll parody on the Chicago-based Art Hellyer Show on the radio, in that 01-01-57 era. Wildly funny show.......and a late in life (2002) interview of Mr. Hellyer revealed he was a big Lionel enthusiast.

What was I doing Jan 1957? Playing with my HO Tyco 0-6-0T freight, with a Rock Island gon, some long forgotten boxcar and a red bobber caboose, which I learned later was roughly patterned after the CB&Q's bobbers. I was watching "Serial Theater" which ran segments of 1930's era serials; my favorite: John Wayne in the "Hurricane Express", featuring a whale of a lotta SP steam. I had just received for Christmas a Mantua Pacific kit, and I was trying to figure out the intracacies of the valve gear. Was enjoying a handful of Model Railroaders and was soon to discover "Railroad" and "Trains" magazines. And we had just wound up a wonderful Fall loaded with Burlington steam back at work.......many loud-mouthed 4-8-4's, occaisional 2-8-2's spotted at the Clyde coaling tower, etc. A really nice time in my eleven year old life!

57 years ago I was tearing down my 1950's Lionel layout and storing the trains in my parents attic. Did not get back into trains till the 1970's and that was HO. That layout was taken down after 10 years. I have currently been an active Hi Rail O Gauge nut for 23 years. Like most of us, trains have had their ups and downs in our lives.  

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.