Skip to main content

20230719_142549

I purchased from a trusted estate sale of an talented friend the MTH 6482, 30-1247-1. MTH says it is a PS2. This is my first MTH so not sure what I am looking at. When I ran it conventionally it went forward and reverse, but no sound. So this is what I found inside. What speaker should I get? where do I plug it in? I can't find a manual or wiring diagram. Thank you in advance for your help.

Santa Bill

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20230719_142549: Tender 6482 no speaker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chuck, Jim, & Ray,

Thanks guys. The information matches what I see.

I have a few questions that I want your input on:

Attached a picture of the missing head light bulb. Do you have a model, specs, and where I can get one?

The yellow wire and a white wire are connected to a tan 2 pin molex style plug in the bundle and the yellow wire is connected to pin 7 like the Tender wiring Schematic shows. I feel like I can safely connect a speaker to it. Agree?

The speaker clamps measure ~ 50mm, so a 50mm 8 ohm speaker?

Can this loco be run with the MTH Commander? or just conventional throttle and buttons? or any type of remote?

Only one screw is holding the board assembly to the frame. A cap has to be moved, not unsoldered, to access the screw to tighten it since the board swivels some.

The big question for you guys, if this was your loco would you continue to put time and money into it to get it to make sound, smoke, what other features could I expect?

I was hoping for another remote loco to add to my Polar Express Lion Chief, not a Plus. All of my other trains are post war and MPC.

Thanks for your time and input!

Santa Bill

P.S. I will put candy in your stocking this Christmas instead of coal. (LOL)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Missing Head Light Buld

Bill,

The speakers I have are NEW and are 1.96 inches or 49.87mm diameter - that's very close to what you need and I know it will fit as it is only .13mm smaller that what you listed above (50mm). These are low profile speakers, about 10.25mm high.

Perhaps others can comment on the MTH operation and the head light- I'm strictly Lionel TMCC & Legacy. I do have a couple of MTH engines, but I converted these to TMCC with ERR/Lionel Cruise Commander and Rail Sound.

RAY

The headlight bulb is 6 volts. MTH and Lionel both have them. Won't work with any Command control set up. MTH at one point had a remote with a special lock-on to connect to the track and the remote would change the track voltage and blow the whistle and operate the bell. Should smoke if the smoke unit is still there and the control board is still good.

Chuck, would the remote you are referring to be the "IR REMOTE COMMANDER # 50-1012" and do you think it might control this board? there are some on Ebay.

I put the train on my club's track with an MTH DCS Discovery, but it came back no train recognized, like you said it would.

Important to note the difference- don't mix them up.

50-1012 is the conventional control unit and matching remote. Key points, it's a grey base that has a lockon style connector specific to REALTRAX built in. Being a Locosound is a conventional only engine for control system- yes, this is a compatible controller.

Sometimes, on various auction sites- people list things with the wrong number or mismatched sets.

50-1033 is nearly the same size, a similar looking remote at first glance, but is very different. This version is DCS only with no conventional operation via remote. It connects using the banana jack style wire terminals on the black not grey base, and the remote has more buttons and is incompatible with the 50-1012.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1

Thanks Vernon for the excellent feedback and yes the remote I am considering is the IR conventional with fewer buttons on it.

A hook up question on the IR remote, It has a connection for an MTH transformer. Does the power for the track come through the Real Trax lock on?

I think I could use alligator clips to the IR lock on connections and the other end to a standard Lionel lockon. My layout is all standard 3 rail Menard track with a few post war turnouts. Could I fab up a  cable with the connector that goes into the IR remote and hook that to a Lionel 1033 output? Or is there something special about the wave form of the MTH that makes this system function correctly?

Would you happen to know the size of the transformer connection on the back of the IR system?

A hook up question on the IR remote, It has a connection for an MTH transformer. Does the power for the track come through the Real Trax lock on?

Answer: Yes, it must have power through it (in the input and out of the lockon terminals)to control power and vary the track voltage.

I think I could use alligator clips to the IR lock on connections and the other end to a standard Lionel lockon. Sure, that is one way to skin the cat.

My layout is all standard 3 rail Menard track with a few post war turnouts.  Sure- that is your alligator clip method

Could I fab up a  cable with the connector that goes into the IR remote and hook that to a Lionel 1033 output? Sure, but you would want a circuit breaker and the correct coaxial power input jack

Or is there something special about the wave form of the MTH that makes this system function correctly? No special waveform, but it's basically expecting at least 12-18V constant AC input. Also, probably should have a fuse or circuit breaker to limit the maximum short circuit current.

Would you happen to know the size of the transformer connection on the back of the IR system?5.5mm by 2.1mm coaxial jack.

Note, I got that connector information from this Z1000 brick topic https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...ansformer-power-unit

Easy to wire jacks with screw terminals

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011YKCK5M

Last edited by Vernon Barry

Also, I would download the product manual and go through it https://mthtrains.com/sites/de...ction/30as10319i.pdf

The Remote and Remote Lock-On replace the control
box found with M.T.H.’s Z-500 ™ and Z-750® transformers, and are designed
for use with moderately powered transformers such as these. In order to
operate the system, you need a Remote handheld (batteries not included), a
Remote Lock-On for each loop of track you wish to control, and a section of
M.T.H. RealTrax® .

Note- the longest tip[ connection is intended to go to center rail and the shorter one goes to the outside rail since you are using Tubular track and connecting using alligator clip leads.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

I have tested a Rail King IR Remote Control system. Seems the IR Lock-On is not functional. I have attached my test. Please take a look and tell me what I missed.

I installed a speaker, Sounds great. Smokes very well and runs great from conventional transformer control. I ordered an LED 6 volt bulb, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T...uct_details&th=1  for the head light but it doesn't work. Where should I look to trouble shoot the head light.

Thanks, Bill

Attachments

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.