Skip to main content

RoyBoy posted:
tncentrr posted:

Marty Fitzhenry,

A junior Hudson is a 4-6-4 that is built small enough for 027 curves. It is sometimes called a baby Hudson. Lionel post war numbers would be 2046, 2055 etc. Williams made a model of it also. Mine is numbered 5443. I ran it for 55 minutes last night. It seemed to do alright except that it got extremely hot, hot enough to burn my hands it I tried to lift it off the track. I have never had an engine, including several other Williams products, that do this.

George

It's not uncommon for the Williams baby Hudson (sometimes called the O-27 Hudson, or the 2056 Hudson) to get hot. The gear ratio is way too tall for the little motor inside of it. At least the scale Hudson has a big motor so it can handle doing some work. Interestingly, the Williams copy of the Lionel Berkshire does not seem to have the overheating problem. Maybe it has a different gear box, or maybe the smaller drive wheels gives the motor a better gear ratio.

If yours is running hot send it back to Bachman and they will fix it. Had the same problem with my small Hudson. I forget what the exact problem was but they had an issue with that batch. It now runs great for long periods and barely gets warm. Sorry to get off topic. Never saw a postwar 773 run but if the WBB version runs anything like the ones I have I would not hesitate to get it.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.