Skip to main content

I have a 98 Coal House with the 96C Controller, two terminals on each piece. My question is how should they be hooked up to operate the Coal House. This was my first Lionel set and I received it in 1941 for Christmas.  I am now running it on my layout. The Coal House worked just fine when I last used it probably 25 years ago. Now I forgot how the hookup goes. Would appreciate help.

Thank you.

George

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

George

Don't have a 98 but am working on getting a 97 up and running. Did a bit of searching and couldn't find much (other than parts are scarce). It looks like the two terminals on the tower operate a solenoid to pull the bin down. The controller is most likely a simple switch completing the circuit when you push the button. If you've got a multimeter I'd check continuity on the 98 and test the operation of the button which would be an easy replace if its bad. If the 98 shows a complete circuit I'd try hitting it with AC from a transformer say about 12VAC. If it operates or at least makes sounds like it wants to I'd open it up and try cleaning/lub. No sound/no operate again you'd need to open it up and look first for a loose connection inside.

Good luck with this rather uncommon accessory.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.