Skip to main content

Hi All:

I have a virtual Frisco acquaintance that is toying with the idea of a 1900s switching layout with a "loose" Frisco theme. He is not a member of the OGR forums.  Thought I would take it on myself to ask a couple of questions here in an effort to help "liberate" him from HO.

Question:

IS there an available 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 model from Lionel or MTH (etc) that can be obtained already 2-rail ready, or can be made so with the replacement of factory available parts?

Thanks for any input.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This Weaver Pennsy A5 maybe.  Upgrade to TMCC, it has sound and electro couplers.

Here's a video of a K-line 0-6-0 and a Weaver 0-8-0

It's interesting to note that some of the MTH Premier line is (2) rail ready.  Remove the third rail pick-ups and flick a switch. 
This Russian decapod is two rail ready.

A  very small decapod, compared to this 0-6-0

Last edited by Mike CT
Originally Posted by laming:

Hi All:

I have a virtual Frisco acquaintance that is toying with the idea of a 1900s switching layout with a "loose" Frisco theme. He is not a member of the OGR forums.  Thought I would take it on myself to ask a couple of questions here in an effort to help "liberate" him from HO.

Question:

IS there an available 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 model from Lionel or MTH (etc) that can be obtained already 2-rail ready, or can be made so with the replacement of factory available parts?

Thanks for any input.

Hi Andre:

Atlas makes and 0-6-0 in two rail, you can get it DCC ready or with a decoder already installed.

http://www.atlaso.com/ousra060switcher.htm

Regards,

Jerry

MTH has made 2 rail 0-4-0s, 0-6-0s and 0-8-0s.  All three wheel arrangements are available in Proto 2 which offers conventional AC or DC control and DCS command control.  The last run of 0-6-0s (USRA types) has Proto 3 with conventional AC or DC control along with DCS and DCC command control. You should be able to find one in 2 rail in stock at a dealer through the MTH product locator.

All the MTH switchers are good, reliable runners with smooth sustained speed down in the 2-3 SMPH range and good tractive effort for their size.  I get to run an MTH 0-8-0 frequently and like switching with it.

Last edited by Ted Hikel
Originally Posted by PRR Man:

Does it have to be Lionel or MTH? The brass GEM models of both 2 rail 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 always turn up at auction, plus there are other older builders of those wheel arrangements that turn up as well, the dockside tank switcher comes to mind.

Indeed.  There are a good range of options particularly if he is interested in the "1900s". 

It is difficult to find locos for the Pre-WW I period.    But after that, many models of steamers are available.    The USRA 0-6-0 is a good example.    That has been done by a number of importers in brass and it has been done by Atlas O and MTH.   The Atlas O version is available in both 2 and 3 rail.   I don't know about MTH.

In brass, Sunset did a very nice one, Weaver and Williams did one, and Max Grey had a version.  

US Hobbies did the B&O 0-4-0 both with and without tender.   

As mentioned above, Gem imported O-6-0s and 0-4-0s both Pennsy and Reading prototypes.   The Readings were camelbacks.   

That is a quick summary off the top of my head.   At most O scale shows, a few examples of these show up on tables for sale.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.