Skip to main content

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a 1033 Transformer that unfortunately no longer has the instructions (not sure if any ever came with it).  It came with a set I bought from a lady quite a few years ago and they were not in the transformer box.  My question is, can someone tell me about the posts across the top.  I'm assuming the U post is the common, the A post says 5 volts and it looks like the B post is also 5 volts, the C post is 11 volts, or do I have that totally backwards.  Could it be that the C post is the Common and you use a combination of posts U, A and B for different voltages.  Which posts do you use to hook to the rails?  For some reason, I've never tried this transformer since I've owned it and thought I would give it a shot.

One other question, could I use this as the power supply for a DCS system I'm contemplating buying?

Thanks for your help guys, I very much appreciate it.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

U is the variable post that connects to the center rail. Connecting the outside rail to A post gives 5-16V to the train (there is off position but then jumps to 5V immediately).  Connect the outside rail to B post gives 0-11 volts to the train. You can reverse these leads with no harm unless you are using something as common bus neutral ground.

The DCS requires a nominal 18VAC to the track.  You could use this transformer A and C post to give fixed 16V to the DCS, but your engine would be limited to 16V if you ran your train at top speed.  Also this transformer is rated for 90 watts meaning you could get about 5.5 Amps (90W/16V) from it but the tranformer would be mighty warm doing it.  Best bet is relegate this to lighting or acessories operation and get a good postwar ZW or new Z4000 that has the "horsepower" for running your MTH and/or TMCC trains.

J Motts,

RRMan is giving you the correct skinny, the only thing I would use that particular transformer for on a DCS layout is lighting or accessories.  Remember if you pick up a couple of ZW transformers they must have 10 Amp circut breakers placed between the transformer and the DCS TIU.  I love my Z4K's but picking up a couple old ZW's is definitely cost effective engineering.  The Z4K opens other engineering doors with the DCS however.  There are engineering reasons why I run with Z4K, old ZW & KW transformers.

PCRR/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad

Also having the old postwar transformers means you have instant on power where the new stuff requires you to put handles to zero, then dial up to 18V (pain in the ---) every time, especially if transformers are "hidden" like mine are for DCS operation.  Of course if you run conventional, then this 'put handles at zero' is a safety feature.

A Z-1000 would be a modern equivelient to a 1033. It has a fixed 14 volt terminal. About 100 watts continious power which is a lot more than 90 watts peak of a 1033. A 1033 has about 60 watts continious. A Z-1000 has a fast acting breaker which a 1033 does not. The Z-1000 has horn, bell and direction buttons. The 1033 only has direction and maybe horn.

I tried to run my 20 by 8 STG layout on 1 Z-4000 and it worked. Power consumption in this gauge is the same as O-gauge. I ran on 1 throttle 13 lighted Passenger cars and 2 engines in DCS plus some lights. The other throttle ran 7 lighted passenger cars, 10 freight cars 3 engines in DCS and lights. The 14 volt pin runs the 6 switches and aux power on the TIU. The total number of lights not counting cars just straight lights and buildings is in excess of 100 bulbs with no LEDs on the layout. The voltage on both throttles was set at 17 volts amp draw was at 9.8. Other than the empty 10v min. amp draw pin this Z-4000 is running at the max output.

1 Z-1000 has about 1/4 of the above power. The question is how much power do you need?

Hi Mr. Motts, I know these transformers very well. I have the instruction sheets. However you don't need them. Let me state there are some errors in recent CTT magazine regarding these transformers, also errors in old Lionel instruction booklets. Most instructions correctly state U is to center rail on this transformer.

I'll start by saying U is not common on this transformer!!! It is not!! 

U must go to center rail only!! Repeat center rail only!!! One last time, U is to center rail. If not,  the other circuits will be confused. Just trust me on this.

Ok, here is the straight deal... This transformer is built with a coil with various taps that more or less form a series circuit. (I won't get into those details).  There is not a distinct "common" such as a ZW has. On the ZW it's U, but NOT on 1033. So U will be center rail for 1033.

For normal operation with most postwar trains A will be outside rail. That gives a starting volts of 5v & full throttle of 16v. That is all this transformer can do is 16v.

If B is to outside rail you start @ 0v & full is 11v. Not enough for most locos.

For DCS you can use this tranformer fine. Again hook U to center rail, A to outside rail. You can use throttle to back off volts if kids use layout to limit train speeds.

You can use C for accessory power for a signal, gateman or the like at the same time you run trains off of U.

Now... if you look at the top you see you get fixed volts 16v A-C. Yes, you could hook it up that way. It uses the exact same coils for that as for U-A. The difference is you would not have throttle control to back volts down. If you decide to use A-C, A must still go to outside rail. Then you could use U to power accessories & have adj fixed volts.

Again notice U is never hooked to outside rail.

These are very good transformers & work well if once you understand U goes to center rail.

By the way there is an addtional 5v coil for the whistle circuit. You cannot access that power without completely rewiring the transformer. That is impractical. Figure the max volts is 16v. If that's enough you are good to go for DCS. Your locos will decide if that's enough.  That is enough for all can motor locos & most single motor postwar locos. Large single motor & dual motor postwar you'll need a larger transformer. If you get into postwar dual motors & lighted passenger cars you'll want to get into at least 125w. 150w+ works much better for these.

Very best, Don Johnson

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.