Skip to main content

Wow!  Looks great to me.  I already know where it will go.  It will have to have a descent sized parking lot for all the shoppers, especially when they have a bread price war with the IGA store at the other side of town.  My Cocoa Cola semi is loading up for the grand opening, I can't wait.

Art

Last edited by Chugman
CHOO-CHOO MIKE posted:

Is that film star Marilyn Chambers on the side of the building ?  COOL !

When the film came out, all the Ivory Snow boxes were removed from the shelves in California - and shipped to the stores in Utah, where, presumably, the film was not that popular.

The Red Owl chain was in Minneapolis in my youth.

Last edited by RoyBoy
rrman posted:

How wide spread was Red Owl chain, or just local to Wisconsin?  Drop down to Iowa?

Course doesn't matter, if you like it, buy it, its your layout!!

Second time I'm cross posting my reply from an earlier thread:

Red Owl was once a grocery store chain that operated in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and North and South Dakota. The company dates back to 1922. The first store was in Rochester, MN. Its last owner, Supervalu Inc., began phasing them out in the 1980s. One still exists in Green Bay, WI. There were more than 400 stores at one time.

I lived in Rochester for eight years and in Minnesota for 22 years, so I am quite familiar with them.

Department 56 in 2002 released a ceramic building depicting a Red Owl. (See below for one from my collection.)

Jim R.

Last edited by Jim R.

Love it.  To many it might seem very ordinary and uninteresting, but this is how they really looked.  It's an iconic brand that I honestly haven't even thought of in years.  But as soon as I see it, it immediately brings back memories.  So that's what's great about a building like this.  Any midwestern visitor who happens to see this is instantly going to be taken back.

This also reminds me a lot of other buidings that looked like this in the 70s and 80s.  Auto parts stores, paint stores, etc, motorcycle sales.  So many uses for a basic, utilitarian retail store with a bunch of windows in the front and very easy for anyone to modify appropriately on their layout.

Mark, I ordered and paid for the Red Owl on Thursday (shipped to store) and it arrived on Sunday. Just my luck, Menards began another 11 percent rebate week on Sunday.

I asked about getting the rebate applied to the purchase, given the circumstances, but the procedure the manager suggested seems a bit cumbersome. (It involves using an 11 percent price adjustment form and a reprinted receipt, for which I would have to write a letter explaining this all.)

Is there a simpler way to do this? I suggested doing a return and buying it back on the spot, but they were reluctant.

Jim R. posted:

Mark, I ordered and paid for the Red Owl on Thursday (shipped to store) and it arrived on Sunday. Just my luck, Menards began another 11 percent rebate week on Sunday.

I asked about getting the rebate applied to the purchase, given the circumstances, but the procedure the manager suggested seems a bit cumbersome. (It involves using an 11 percent price adjustment form and a reprinted receipt, for which I would have to write a letter explaining this all.)

Is there a simpler way to do this? I suggested doing a return and buying it back on the spot, but they were reluctant.

First, I would like to preface this reply by letting others who are curious about the 11% price adjustment know that the 11% rebate adjustment does not apply to orders that included the free box truck.

Jim,

Bad luck indeed. I guess one of the great "Menards Mysteries" is not knowing when the next 11% sale pop up.

I did contact Customer Service on your behalf and you are eligible for the 11% price adjustment since you did not order the box truck. They will reach out to you shortly (if they have not done so already).

You are correct, you will have to send the 11% price adjustment along with a printed receipt from your online purchase. I have never heard of a written letter of explanation for this process but you can always ask Customer Service once they contact you.

We will make sure that you get your price adjustment. Just let me know if you have any further questions.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards
Menards posted:
Jim R. posted:

First, I would like to preface this reply by letting others who are curious about the 11% price adjustment know that the 11% rebate adjustment does not apply to orders that included the free box truck.

Jim,

Bad luck indeed. I guess one of the great "Menards Mysteries" is not knowing when the next 11% sale pop up.

I did contact Customer Service on your behalf and you are eligible for the 11% price adjustment since you did not order the box truck. They will reach out to you shortly (if they have not done so already).

You are correct, you will have to send the 11% price adjustment along with a printed receipt from your online purchase. I have never heard of a written letter of explanation for this process but you can always ask Customer Service once they contact you.

We will make sure that you get your price adjustment. Just let me know if you have any further questions.

Mark,

The 11% Rebate Offer always confuses me. So are you saying that I can purchase the building, have it shipped to me in New York, then complete the Rebate Form, mail it back with a copy of my Sales Receipt and Menards will send me a credit check for the 11% Rebate?

I always thought that the 11% Rebate only applied to in-store purchases or that the amount can only be applied to a future in-store purchase. How would I use the 11% Credit Check that is mailed to me?

I'm looking to purchase the Train Station and the Red Owl store.

Mike

Last edited by ezmike
ezmike posted:

Mark,

The 11% Rebate Offer always confuses me. So are you saying that I can purchase the building, have it shipped to me in New York, then complete the Rebate Form, mail it back with a copy of my Sales Receipt and Menards will send me a credit check for the 11% Rebate?

This is correct. You will just have to print out the 11% rebate form and your receipt for the online purchase. I've attached the rebate form for your convenience.

I always thought that the 11% Rebate only applied to in-store purchases or that the amount can only be applied to a future in-store purchase. How would I use the 11% Credit Check that is mailed to me?

This is also correct. The 11% rebate may only be used for in-store purchases. However, we've had many members of the forum trading, selling or transferring the credit checks as 645 stated above.

Mike

Mike,

It seems to me that you have a good understanding of the 11% rebate. I elaborated as best I can in you post above. If you have more questions, please ask.

Attachments

Last edited by Menards
Menards posted:
ezmike posted:

Mark,

This is correct. You will just have to print out the 11% rebate form and your receipt for the online purchase. I've attached the rebate form for your convenience.

This is also correct. The 11% rebate may only be used for in-store purchases. However, we've had many members of the forum trading, selling or transferring the credit checks as 645 stated above.

Mike

Mike,

It seems to me that you have a good understanding of the 11% rebate. I elaborated as best I can in you post above. If you have more questions, please ask.

Thanks 645 and Mark. Its crystal clear now.

Mike

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.