Skip to main content

My wife and I were invited to a holiday party last weekend that was "BYOT"... bring your own train.  Not knowing if there would be TMCC/Legacy or not, I brought along a LionChief Plus New Haven Rectifier and my 1989 semi-scale B6.

Everything on the B6 worked except the chuff.  On these early RailSounds units, the chuff was triggered by a Hall Sensor on a tender axle with a magnetically polarized wheel. 

In any event, it doesn't work. 

Should I fix?  Or replace?  Have any of you attempted this project?

Jon

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Check for metallic debris on the magnetic 3rd wheel.  I would also open the tender up and make sure the foam insulation pad hasn't disintegrated, causing a short between the sound board and tender frame.  That train is 30 yrs old!!

As I recall the chief complaint with these was low sound volume.  Hence the next generation Railsounds 2 got a volume control.

The Lionel hall sensor has a 1/2" square board soldered to the leads coming from the sensor. The board is supported entirely by the leads coming from the hall sensor. This board has solder pads that the leads to the RS-1 board are soldered to. These leads tend to tug on the board a bit and since this board is only supported by the leads coming from the hall sensor it is free to flex and eventually breaks the leads coming from the sensor. If you are handy with a solder iron it is possible with a small iron to solder these leads back together.  THEN, use some hot glue to stabilize the board.  OR, if your sensor / sound is still working use some hot glue to keep it from breaking. Just happens that I am in the middle of installing TMCC in a B6 and have the tender apart. Attached are three photos of how I fix the sensor to keep the leads from breaking.  I remove the three 24 gauge wires and replace with 32 gauge which is plenty big for handling the signal from the hall sensor to the RS-1 board. Then I route the wires through the mounting lug in the center of the truck. You can see I drill a hole in the lug and then I glue a piece of 1/8" heat shrink in the hole to keep the fine wires from rubbing on metal. I also chamfer and polish the top of the hole in the lug to help keep the insulation on the fine wires from wearing if there is any rubbing.         j

105_7828

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 105_7836
  • 105_7828
  • 105_7827
Ted S posted:

Check for metallic debris on the magnetic 3rd wheel.  I would also open the tender up and make sure the foam insulation pad hasn't disintegrated, causing a short between the sound board and tender frame.  That train is 30 yrs old!!

As I recall the chief complaint with these was low sound volume.  Hence the next generation Railsounds 2 got a volume control.

Ted,  The RS-1 boards sat in a plastic frame that unlike the foam does not die.  RS-2  also got an additional amp and it is far too large to get in the slope back tender.  However if you move the speaker back as far as you can you can get a RS-2.5 board in it.  When I'm finished I'll post pix of the B6 I'm working on.          j

Last edited by JohnActon

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.