Skip to main content

I am writing this for a good friend of mine who is not a member of this forum.

Today he received Lionel's 2017 offering of the Western Maryland SD40's.  I'm assuming it is product number 6-84269...I think.  Anyway, they just arrived today with at least one of the trucks detached and even worse, the Western Maryland red paint was almost a pink color. 

Has anyone else opened up the boxes of these engines today/this week to find this same disappointment?  I went back through about 3 pages of threads but did not see this listed anywhere.  If someone else posted this question and I missed it, my apologies.

When I get the pictures from him, I'll post them here.

Thanks for reading...

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My dealer emailed me today that my SD40 CSX Diesel is at the store. Hopefully I will pick it up Saturday.  I did send my dealer an email to check it out, most all of my purchases have come in fine.  I will put pictures here on the forum...

Larry Mullen, you are right about the color on the new Western Maryland SD40, very close to the SD60’s NS 911, and First Responders...(I have those units). .It’s not pink, but reddish/orange and not deep red like the one beside it.   I think Lionel, should get with the program concerning scale like colors....This is why BTO is Risky.  

Don, I would the engine back to the dealer for a swap. Or, call Lionel for an RA...It gets old when our prized trains come in damaged do to poor packaging, or non-caring shippers throwing our boxes on trucks....It’s sad.

Everyone else, good luck...As they say, “This too shall pass”.

MSRP in the Lionel catalog is $649, and shipping is extra a lot of the time. (Some dealers off special early order pricing).  Most of us have to mail order our trains.  And, do to low margins of profit, many dealers do not take the time to open all of the boxes and check for damages as it takes time and $$$$....I am not Complaining, I understand......There comes a time, while engineering makes us a super model, they should also engineer a great shipping container...Hopefully there will be some positive comments forthcoming....

Its a wonder everything folks order doesn't come in broken!  More than once my son has seen our USPS delivery person throw boxes up onto the front deck (porch) from the sidewalk.   Its a long trip from China so maybe they need to put some removable Loctite on the screws?   At any rate I wish putting on a loose coupler was the only problem any of us had.   Or tightening up a screw.   I don't know how yall made it!!! 

Jim : )

My Santa Fe came with a unsightly gap under the front short hood to the deck. I see the Western Maryland posted earlier has the same issue. My SD40's from 2015 release are all tight to the deck here. It looks bigger in person, the picture has a shadow. I'm currently talking to Lionel about a fix. 

My theory, the 2015 SD40's had some issues with the rear cab corners lifting off the battery boxes. On the 2017's, I believe they fixed this issue but in doing so caused the short hood to lift slightly.

20171222_165843 [2)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20171222_165843 (2)
Last edited by SuperChiefer84

I had the coupler off in one of my UP locomotives as well. But with a soldering gun and screw driver I was up and running in 30 minutes.

What killed me was there was a critical foam missing to protect the cab... and sure enough that one had a crushed cab...

My hobby shop swapped it for one in stock and regrettably they had to send that one back to Lionel.

As for the gap between the shell and the base, there is a small gap, but nothing glaring. What is the fix?

BTW the sounds on these are wow, Wow, WOW!

20171121_22210120171121_22205820171121_222015sd 40 foam missing20171119_201511

Attachments

Images (5)
  • 20171121_222101
  • 20171121_222058
  • 20171121_222015
  • sd 40 foam missing
  • 20171119_201511

The gap is bigger on some than others. Ive seen it on most 2017 SD40's Ive seen on the forum and Youtube. Being able to see daylight under the short hood while running at eye level bothers me. The Lionel Rep suggested bending the front body mount tabs down a bit to close the gap but this had no effect on mine. So at the moment there is no fix.

J Daddy posted:

"The Lionel Rep suggested bending the front body mount tabs down a bit to close the gap but this had no effect on mine."

Front Body mount tabs? I haven't popped the lid but aren't these attached with molded in bosses?

Yeah. seeing daylight in this area would be a bummer.

Yeah I meant the 2 front metal frame tabs that the brass shell inserts attach to. 

On mine, lowering the metal tabs like Lionel said pulled the deck down farther creating a bigger gap. I believe the problem lies in the construction of the shell. I was thinking of somehow bonding the deck and short hood together from the back side. Something that would pull the 2 surfaces together like a strong tape. It's a relatively clean 90 degree angle inside the shell where they meet.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.