Skip to main content

I noticed when I operate my 2343 Santa Fe (vintage 1952) F-3, where the front collector roller touches the middle rail, there is a noticeable amount of sparks being generated...more than normal.  The collector roller in question is located in the front of the F-3 under the cab.  The other collector roller does not spark at all.

The engine runs on O'Gauge tubular track.  

Are there are suggestions or recommendations to reduce the amount of sparks?

Thank you.  Urbie

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Urbie!

I recently replaced the roller assembly on my horizontal motor Western Pacific 2355 F3 from the same era. The original assembly looked like Rob's but the rollers had become "arc welded" to the assembly and no longer turned! I was able to find a replacement from a parts dealer and my WP's now run like new.

I'm sure others on the forum will say the same thing, but make sure the rollers are clean and turn freely. I also run "0" tubular track and would add keeping your track as clean as possible will help as well.

L1030465

Attachments

Images (1)
  • L1030465

Hi Rob and Don,

Thank you for the feedback, and for providing the pics (nice layout, Don),

I'll check the roller that's sparking to make sure it turns freely.  Both rollers were recently replaced, but the one creating the sparks may have been crimped too tightly on the collector arm.  Tracks are clean so no issue there.

Thanks, again, for your comments.  

Urbie

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.