3 rail Slinky Dog

RonH posted:

Found a old motor for my slinky dog, just need traction tires full wave rectifier and cap (on order from China).

Planning to cut out some plastic white styrene sheets (paper pattern shown) for a base to attached the dogs front paws to (using screws) and putting a small box that looks like a present in front of the dog to hold the rectifier and cap.

Should I will put a small green soldier in the front to lead the way?

Also planning to keep the platform solid to the motor and front paws and the rear trucks solid to the rear paws so when it goes around corners it will stretch a bit to make it more noticeable.

Cool idea. You might consider a single diode to run the motor half wave. That way, it will not run too fast. Especially important with a postwar-type transformer that starts at 6-7 volts.

RoyBoy

Can anyone tell me the overall width of the feet when they are placed on the platform that is to be mounted to the truck? I have some unused cheap Menards flatbeds that I was just thinking of cutting up, leaving just enough platform above each truck to place the feet of the dog on and secure them to that platform or portion of the Menards flatbed. Just wondering if that flatbed is wide enough.

Chime in if you can measure one that you have.

Thanks.

mustang posted:

Can anyone tell me the overall width of the feet when they are placed on the platform that is to be mounted to the truck? I have some unused cheap Menards flatbeds that I was just thinking of cutting up, leaving just enough platform above each truck to place the feet of the dog on and secure them to that platform or portion of the Menards flatbed. Just wondering if that flatbed is wide enough.

Chime in if you can measure one that you have.

Thanks.

Took a quick measurement of the front paws. On the widest width it measured 2 3/8 for me

RonH

Don't Junk it, Make it Work!

Think about the height as well.  The dog is 4" from the bottom of the feet to the top of his head, add the truck height and you may be clipping tunnel openings.

RonH posted

Took a quick measurement of the front paws. On the widest width it measured 2 3/8 for me

For those still building one of these, here is a picture of the plate I made. Just standard 18ga sheet metal stock.  2 1/4 X 1 1/4 " Also if you plan to use plastic trucks , you may have to add some weight to get the desired effect....

plate

Attachments

Photos (1)
walt rapp posted:

Did I  buy the right one?? It sure seems big!

- walt

Looks like the same one that I purchased used on eBay.
The widest part of the feet should be about 2 3/8 inch wide.
Using a motorized truck for the front so it can be self propelled.
I know it looks tall and as gunrunner stated, be careful on any tunnel or overhanging accessories.
Just found a sheet of Plastruct (plastic sheet 0.100 thick) for the a platform for the feet on the trucks.
Marking this up today and will cut out.
I will try to take some pictures of my progress tp post and hope that everyone else will do the same as other approches will bring some new ideas on how to

RonH

Thanks for confirming.  Funny though: the 1st one that I ordered (and returned - see earlier comments)  was "O" gauge sized so I was expecting a "Jr." one to be likewise.

I cut up 0.4mm plastruc for the base and am now waiting for the adhesive to cure.

- walt

Just a idea.

Working on my slinky dog and want to use screws to hold it to the base.

Took the wheels of the dogs feet by using a xacto knife and sliding off both plastic axles on the wheel, then pulling the wheel of and slicing off a little tab that is also on the bottom of the foot. Going to fill the void up completely with JBWeld. Once this is cured will drill a hole and tap it for a 4-40 or 2-56 screw. Then I will counter sink the plastic base to accept a flat head screw. Should work, just did not want to glue the feet down to the plastic base. Anybody else have any other ideas?

RonH

OK,  you guys got me!

De dog is on de way.... soon it will be slinking around our modular layout!

Last summer we visited York to see what it looked like as the York Fair...they had pig races.  Maybe it's time for our York to have some Slinky Dog Races.

Home of the Union Eastern, Thomaston & Williamstown Railroad

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc. PO Box 218, Hilliard, OH 43026 330-757-3020
www.ogaugerr.com