Skip to main content

All 3 of these fine running locomotives were previously owned by OGR Forum members. They are the brute force on my railroad.  The AC-12 Cab Forward was originally a Proto Sound locomotive, but the prior owner had it converted to PS2.

As you can see, I hold Mallets and Articulateds in high regard, and my goal is to own all of the MTH Rail King engines of these types. So the Erie Triplex, the Challenger, the Allegheny and the Big Boy will some day be mine. I find that the Mallets and Articulateds are the best tracking locomotives especially through switches and tight curves. Minimum mainline curves on my railroad are 042.

NYC USRA 2-8-8-2 [2)

USRA 2-8-8-2  which has DCS PS2

N&W Y6b [y)

N&W Y6b With PS2

AC-12 Cab Forward [1)

AC-12 Cab Forward With PS2 - Newest Purchase

DSCN1808

Triple Header With 64 Drivers

Attachments

Images (4)
  • NYC USRA 2-8-8-2 (2)
  • N&W Y6b (y)
  • AC-12 Cab Forward (1)
  • DSCN1808
Last edited by Bobby Ogage
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, articulateds were invented not to be huge (as they became in N. America) but to be agile and fuel-efficient (compounds). Compact and powerful for their size, they could handle sharper curves and worse track than an equivalently powerful 2-8-2 or 4-8-2 rigid-frame loco, for example. This holds true on a model layout - my scale Lionel USRA 2-6-6-2, a big loco, is very agile and dependable through curves and switches, as it amounts to 2 little 2-6-0 Moguls back-to-back.

The RK articulateds are great - I use them for project fodder. I'm attacking one right now. I wish that there was a RK 2-6-6-2 to go with the 2-8-8-2.

Here's one that I converted to a NYC 0-8-8-0 hump switcher; has TMCC:

DSCN0073

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN0073

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.