Skip to main content

Finally getting back to try and finish up my Gantry Crane drive system and need some advice. I now have my motor drive couplings turned and drilled/tapped. The tapped end is #8-32. I am looking for a threaded rod that is #8-32 as well. The ones that are for sale in most home improvement storsd are all bent up and will not work since I need/want the drive shaft to be straight. I am looking for a threaded rod made out of something harder that the soft steel that I have seen. Not sure how many mechanical engineers frequent the scenery forum but I hope that there are at least a few.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You're dealing with something long and skinny. Its going to flex a little bit no matter what its made out of, even if its stainless steel. I would suggest getting it from someplace that is not home depot or lowes, where everyone sticks their hands in the bins and messes things up. A place like mcmaster carr would likely have threaded rods in a wide variety of sizes. Want stiffer than steel, go with stainless.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stand...hreaded-rods/=jid5x6

You might try the R/C Airplanes section of your LHS...or a shop that particularly serves the R/C market.  We (LHS) have those in a few thread sizes, different lengths, fully threaded or partially threaded (ends).  However, I'm quite sure they're not especially harder or straighter that products served up at home improvement or well-stocked hardware stores.

Or...

We have here in mid-Michigan a company called Mid-State Bolt and Screw Co..  They're our go-to place for all sorts of usual and unusual threaded items, large and small and very small, different head shapes, driver detents, etc.  They also have threaded rod.  But, here again, I'm not sure whether they have something particularly hard or straight...for which I assume you'd pay a premium.  Perhaps you have someplace similar in your area?

FWIW, always...

KD

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.