Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Lee Willis:

Thanks.  Vision Big Boy: interesting.   I was actually running the JLC Big boy this afternoon.  The Vision Challenger is a little better than it with regard to sound, but not that much better anywhere else I can tell.  Lionel will have a tall order to exceed the JLC version enough to justify someone buying one: whistle steam and blow down alone won't do it for me.  

The Vision Line Challenger is a little better with regard to sound than the JLC Big Boy???

When I got my Vision Line Challenger it took about 5 seconds to hear how much better this was than the JLC Big Boy. The dual sound is its best feature in my opinion. Don't you run your Legacy engines under conventional control? Do you have any idea what they sound like under Legacy control and adjusted by the settings the CAB-2 provides?

Originally Posted by PRRronbh:

Let me see if I understand this talk about a scale Pennsy S2.  This is all wishful thinking not something presented and/or discussed by Lionel in Concord.

Personally I don't see where the demand would offset the cost of the tooling.

I believe you are correct. I didn't here anything about a Pennsy S2 from Lionel yesterday. 

While being told about the LionChief they also talked about using a ipad to control our trains. They showed us a picture of a piece of FasTrack that appeared to have something like a small magnet on a side of the track.

Which will eliminate the need of the little module to put into the Cab 2 for the train information because when the engine is placed on the track, the engine will send all of it's information thru that piece of track back to the controller.   

Originally Posted by paulp:
...There was one steam engine on top of a table on the left hand side as we entered into that room that was undecorated and nothing was said about it but it looked like a streamlined 4-8-4 but it may have been one of the GS steamers.

I believe that will be a Legacy H7 in the upcoming catalogue. DaveSlie has a picture of it in his post. I've copied here for ease of viewing. 

Legacy H7 sample, credit DaveSlie

Originally Posted by Jacob:
Originally Posted by PRRronbh:

Let me see if I understand this talk about a scale Pennsy S2.  This is all wishful thinking not something presented and/or discussed by Lionel in Concord.

Personally I don't see where the demand would offset the cost of the tooling.

I believe you are correct. I didn't here anything about a Pennsy S2 from Lionel yesterday. 

I also did not hear anything on a S2. But I would love see any turbine since we have not seen any for a long time. I have seen many offered by MTH and Williams, But I would like to have a Lionel classic to go with my other CC trains.

Originally Posted by Jacob:
Originally Posted by paulp:
...There was one steam engine on top of a table on the left hand side as we entered into that room that was undecorated and nothing was said about it but it looked like a streamlined 4-8-4 but it may have been one of the GS steamers.

I believe that will be a Legacy H7 in the upcoming catalogue. DaveSlie has a picture of it in his post. I've copied here for ease of viewing. 

Legacy H7 sample, credit DaveSlie

In the background of the photo is a model of the new auto carriers and the way that they talked of them I would not be surprised to see move of them.

Originally Posted by drgwdavid:

Thanks.  Vision Big Boy: interesting.   I was actually running the JLC Big boy this afternoon.  The Vision Challenger is a little better than it with regard to sound, but not that much better anywhere else I can tell.  Lionel will have a tall order to exceed the JLC version enough to justify someone buying one: whistle steam and blow down alone won't do it for me.  

The Vision Line Challenger is a little better with regard to sound than the JLC Big Boy???

When I got my Vision Line Challenger it took about 5 seconds to hear how much better this was than the JLC Big Boy. The dual sound is its best feature in my opinion. Don't you run your Legacy engines under conventional control? Do you have any idea what they sound like under Legacy control and adjusted by the settings the CAB-2 provides?

The Vision Challenger has the best chuffing and steam machinery noise of any loco I have, although the Legacy Northerns are close to it in quality.  But when I said only a "little better" than the Big Boy I meant this, i'ts close behind in order of quality among the roughly 45 or 50 steam locos I have with sound.  The Challenger is the current champ.  Very close behind are ATSF Northerns - not much difference really.  Then, the JLC Big Boy, and the Allegheny (I think they are equal as to sound) actually tied in my opinion (and ears) with the Legacy Southern Crescent (surprisingly deep and rich chuffing for a loco with such a small, single speaker tender).  Then all the other Legacy locos including the two I just received (GS-2 and N&W J), which are good but not outstanding, and then my two PS3 Premier steamers, followed by everything else in some order down to an old "Mighty Sound of Steam" loco I have which sounds more like an old 78 RPM record with scratches on it, frankly. 

And yes, of course I know what these sound like running under Legacy - friends run that - the chuffing sounds of the Challenger (or any of my Legacy locos) sound just the same to me running Legacy as conventional: wonderful. 

The Vision Challenger has the best chuffing and steam machinery noise of any loco I have, although the Legacy Northerns are close to it in quality.  But when I said only a "little better" than the Big Boy I meant this, i'ts close behind in order of quality among the roughly 45 or 50 steam locos I have with sound.  The Challenger is the current champ.  Very close behind are ATSF Northerns - not much difference really.  Then, the JLC Big Boy, and the Allegheny (I think they are equal as to sound) actually tied in my opinion (and ears) with the Legacy Southern Crescent (surprisingly deep and rich chuffing for a loco with such a small, single speaker tender).  Then all the other Legacy locos including the two I just received (GS-2 and N&W J), which are good but not outstanding, and then my two PS3 Premier steamers, followed by everything else in some order down to an old "Mighty Sound of Steam" loco I have which sounds more like an old 78 RPM record with scratches on it, frankly. 

And yes, of course I know what these sound like running under Legacy - friends run that - the chuffing sounds of the Challenger (or any of my Legacy locos) sound just the same to me running Legacy as conventional: wonderful. 

You just don't get it. Legacy and the CAB-2 allow you to adjust the sounds in ways that are simply not available under conventional control. If you think Legacy engines sound the same under conventional control you are beyond reasoning with.

I'm very new to the hobby only starting last year. I'm not familiar with LionMaster. Could someone give me insight into what this is? 

There was no reference to LionMaster by Lionel at the event and I didn't see reference to it in any of the 2012 catalogs. I know that it exist because of others referencing it but have no idea what it entails.
Originally Posted by killian:
Jacob - The Lionmaster Line is just a tad shorter than the Scale Lionel locomotives, both diesels and steam.  I believe the width and the height are still scale or very close to scale.  These engines are designed for those who have small layout.  I have three LionMaster UP Challengers and one LionMaster UP Big Boys.  These engines have a high level of detail and are really nice engines with LEGACY/TMCC features and they cost less than SCALE Lionel Locomotives.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Killian. There was definitely no mention of LionMaster at the event. However, they were pushing the American Flyer products. I wonder if they are using that product base in hopes to satisfy the "small layout" market. I realize there is scale difference and a completely different track but as I mentioned before, I've heard nothing about LionMaster from Lionel. 

I wish I had posted for "questions" here before the event and I could have made a point to ask these questions yesterday. 

You just don't get it. Legacy and the CAB-2 allow you to adjust the sounds in ways that are simply not available under conventional control. If you think Legacy engines sound the same under conventional control you are beyond reasoning with.

Well, I do get it, believe me.  But okay, I'm beyond reasoning with.  Maybe you should just stop trying.

Originally Posted by Lee 

Lee seems to be a confirmed conventional operator, he's just not interested in command operation. That said, I don't think we are here to reason with each other in the sense of arguing and convincing, rather most of us are here to share regarding our trains. Regardless, I hope sounds continue to improve AND get more accurate, for instance getting the chuff rate correct for simple and compound articulates, not to mention the right whistle. 

Originally Posted by LIONEL:

Anything about the Cab Forward. Thought this would have come out before another Big Boy since the one in 2008 was cancelled.

Not a peep! I would like to have another one, up until the Vision Line the SP AC-12 was my favorite and it is still one of the prettiest steam engines I own.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.