Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Menards posted:

I did indeed.

I sent you a reply this morning and just let me know if I can do anything else for you!

Thanks, Mark. I wasn't getting impatient, just wanted to make sure you accept PMs. I sent one to someone once and found out not every member gets PMs. I hope you enjoyed your summer weekend.

Hey there Nick, I think its on there radar! I just don't know if they can get an agreement with any of the brewery's or they don't want to spend a lot of money trying! But either way I am thinking I could get another American Power and light building and just change the signage! 

I don't think the big guys from say bud, coors, bush would come after a little guy like me. Hell I don't have anything they would want! LOL

Santa Fe E1 made out of real stainless steel with functioning prime movers using rubbing alcohol for fuel that power traction motors in the trucks.  It will also feature a new command control system that uses Google Earth as it basic platform.  No special system required outside of a WiFi enabled device.  All of this for $199.00 powered and $99.00 unpowered.

Since everyone else is wildly guessing why not!

paul 2 posted:

Mike G, I agree with you about the brewery and was thinking of doing the same thing but with the Pepsi building because it seemed more adapted to the look of a brewery.....,Paul

Paul, I haven't seen a Pepsi building. Is that something Menards did?

Never mind I just looked and found it! I agree with you the Pepsi building would be much better!

Last edited by mike g.
play trains posted:

Mike, you and Paul are giving me ideas  ( scary, considering the source ). How about a large building similar to the Pepsi building as a Santa Fe freight transfer station where I could backup to the docks with my 2,000 Santa Fe box trucks! I like it! LOL

Play, you know all this started from dad AKA Cabint Bob. He does stuff all the time like that! Which makes the rest of us ask why didn't I think of that?

mike g. posted:

Hey there Nick, I think its on there radar! I just don't know if they can get an agreement with any of the brewery's or they don't want to spend a lot of money trying! But either way I am thinking I could get another American Power and light building and just change the signage! 

I don't think the big guys from say bud, coors, bush would come after a little guy like me. Hell I don't have anything they would want! LOL

Mike I really don't like the buildings that Menards has been offering of late so I'm just going to bash two MTH granaries together and make one long building with rail docks on one side and truck docks on the other.  On the roof I'll put an animated Natty Boh sign.

graineryboh

Attachments

Images (2)
  • grainery
  • boh
jim sutter posted:

WILD MARY,

When you finish building your Brewery from two MTH Granaries, please be sure to post pictures of your finished product. I'm sure everyone would love to see it.

Jim that's one of many projects on my plate.  I hope to get to it sometime in October.  My 2 custom run Atlas Natty Boh reefers have been waiting too long for a home.  I'm looking forward to this and posting some pics.

baltimoretrainworks posted:

Wild Mary, don't forget the corrugated tunnel that connected the brewery to its warehouse, it ran along O'Donnel Street. tunnel1tunnel2

Most of it's gone now but it was pretty impressive in its day.

Jerry

Jerry my first job out of high school in 1962 was at the Natty Boh Brewery.  Worked there for 2 yrs before I went into the Army.  I remember the tunnel well.

Jim R. posted:

I like the brewery idea, too, but I just sense there is a reason we haven't seen it that will be hard to overcome. 

I thought it might be about image, but I hadn't given any thought to the licensing cost. Menards has traditionally been pretty thrifty. Could be a factor. 

Menards doesn't sell alcohol, by the way. That is, other than the denatured variety. 

Jim I thought about those thing also.  They shouldn't incur any licensing cost if it was their own brewery just like their pickle plant.  It should easy to use their existing feed and seed building and just change the signage to "Menards Micro Brewery".  I think the building would make a very nice small town brewery.

weed

Attachments

Images (1)
  • weed
Last edited by wild mary
wild mary posted:
Jim R. posted:

I like the brewery idea, too, but I just sense there is a reason we haven't seen it that will be hard to overcome. 

I thought it might be about image, but I hadn't given any thought to the licensing cost. Menards has traditionally been pretty thrifty. Could be a factor. 

Menards doesn't sell alcohol, by the way. That is, other than the denatured variety. 

Jim I thought about those thing also.  They shouldn't incur any licensing cost if it was their own brewery just like their pickle plant.  It should easy to use their existing feed and seed building and just change the signage to "Menards Micro Brewery".  I think the building would make a very nice small town brewery.

weed

WM,

I converted the Menards Sauerkraut Factory and it is now on my layout as the Dark Horse Brewing Company, a local brewery in my small hometown. Works for me! 

IMG_3229

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_3229
Last edited by UKE KAT
PDDMI posted:
wild mary posted:
Jim R. posted:

weed

WM,

I converted the Menards Sauerkraut Factory and it is now on my layout as the Dark Horse Brewing Company, a local brewery in my small hometown. Works for me! 

IMG_3229

Paul that looks really good.  I wish Menards would make more buildings for this era.

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

Inspection of the new item is taking a little longer than expected, thanks for bearing with me. Anytime there are electrical components involved (hint, hint) , we want to make sure everything is top notch before we make the release.

I'm hoping we can still make the release today, but I will keep everyone updated.

Again, sorry for the delay!
-Mark the Menards Train Guy

play trains posted:

Love that truck Mike! Probably should build one for your little brother!LOL

Thanks I would love to, but I found that one in the trash at the local park. Brought it home cleaned it up and its been sitting for about a year, till today when Mark decided to be a little late. So I thought I would make something for him to think about! LOL

gunrunnerjohn posted:

Mark's falling down on the job, it's getting late in the day!

I agree. It is getting late in the day here. Let's hold off on the release for today and make sure everything is tested properly. We don't want to rush the engineers or they'll get cranky .

Thanks for your patience guys!

Last edited by Menards
Menards posted:
gunrunnerjohn posted:

Mark's falling down on the job, it's getting late in the day!

I agree. It is getting late in the day here. Let's hold off on the release for today and make sure everything is tested properly. We don't want to rush the engineers or they'll get cranky .

Thanks for your patience guys!

I used to support an Engineering group and I loved ****ing them off

Steve

paul 2 posted:

Another sleepless night but I am calm cool and collected and can wait till tomorrow for the announcement...Paul

Well son, I hope you didn't have a sleepless night last nite!...  I'm back... and I'll be watching you boys like a hawk...Look out.. CB is on deck to score a home run....LOL..   it's going to be a great ...............................  ah come on, you know I can't tell you..

paul 2 posted:

Dad, I actually slept good last night knowing today will be the day. But.... but I cried myself to sleep when you did not ask me to go with you to the convention and then I read you and Mike g had a grand old time there. LOL ....Paul (your seem to be left at home son )

Oh ,Paul, I feel so bad, even your the 3rd son, there is another son out there somewhere who doesn't  get any attention.. LOL..

paul 2 posted:

PLAY TRAINS, so I take it with the will the estate will purchase one and I will not have to because I am your favorite brother and you will have it left to me LOL,..........Paul ( your best brother ) 

Paul I wouldn't jump the gun to fast! Remember Play Trains grew up playing with GOD, so he has been around a long TIME! At this rate he will out live the both of us and dad! LOL

RJR posted:

Of course, if it has electronics that have to be tested, maybe it's a whole new venture.  For example, an AT&SF Doodlebug.  In which case it would be both a beginning (new area of endeavor) and an end (Doodlebugs usually but not always didn't pull cars).

Thats why Im not buying the "its a caboose" reasoning...they've done cabooses before...

First off, thanks to everyone for your patience!  I've got good news and bad that I would like to pass along.

The good: Testing has been completed on our new release and everything looks great!

The bad: We only received a partial shipment and our inventory will not allow us to put this item for sale (yet). I was just informed that the remainder of our shipment is making it's way through Minnesota but we do expect to receive the balance of our new items early next week.

Until then, we will remain a bunch of train folks, waiting for a train car, full of train cars to arrive. Is that ironic?

Thanks again for your patience!

RJR posted:

Of course, if it has electronics that have to be tested, maybe it's a whole new venture.  For example, an AT&SF Doodlebug.  In which case it would be both a beginning (new area of endeavor) and an end (Doodlebugs usually but not always didn't pull cars).

Lets face it - we're all hoping it some sort of motive power thing...

I'm wondering if they would stop short of a full blast loco - and produce a simpler, powered car - like a gang car or fire car...a bump and go item maybe? Puts a toe in the motive power waters - while keeping it simple.

Menards posted:

First off, thanks to everyone for your patience!  I've got good news and bad that I would like to pass along.

The good: Testing has been completed on our new release and everything looks great!

The bad: We only received a partial shipment and our inventory will not allow us to put this item for sale (yet). I was just informed that the remainder of our shipment is making it's way through Minnesota but we do expect to receive the balance of our new items early next week.

Until then, we will remain a bunch of train folks, waiting for a train car, full of train cars to arrive. Is that ironic?

Mark says "waiting for a train car, full of train cars to arrive?" This could be a hint, also no mention of a building but "train cars".

I'm stacked up on Menards buildings anyway until I can do a town redevelopment on my layout. Got the fire station in a Menards surprise package and no place to go yet.

Frank 

IMG_6606

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_6606
Menards posted:

So is the product in a container on a stack car on the BNSF?

Let's remember that this Menard's delay means the trains are in this country and ready to ship to the store or your home as soon as announced. Unlike the delay from others where one places an order and then waits six months, a year, two years, or longer before the train ever arrive -- in this case we're waiting on a delayed announcement of a train which we will have in hand less than a week later.

We also have no fear of the cancellation notice either, where after waiting months / years, no train at all. While I still buy a fair amount from the L, M, & A companies, their business model is so far away from any modern method that I can not imagine anyone under 40 ever putting up with it. New iPhone gets announced and is on my doorstep within 30 days, not six months to a year later.

Huge difference here fellas, huge!

CincinnatiWestern posted:

Let's remember that this Menard's delay means the trains are in this country and ready to ship to the store or your home as soon as announced. Unlike the delay from others where one places an order and then waits six months, a year, two years, or longer before the train ever arrive -- in this case we're waiting on a delayed announcement of a train which we will have in hand less than a week later.

We also have no fear of the cancellation notice either, where after waiting months / years, no train at all. While I still buy a fair amount from the L, M, & A companies, their business model is so far away from any modern method that I can not imagine anyone under 40 ever putting up with it. New iPhone gets announced and is on my doorstep within 30 days, not six months to a year later.

Huge difference here fellas, huge!

I'm not sure any of these comparisons are even valid. 

MTH, Lionel, and the other typical train importers / companies are relatively small compared to Apple and Menards.  Menards does not rely on train sales to keep in business.  If they make a dud that doesn't sell well it does little to their bottom line.  Fortunately they are very good at determining what will sell.  They are also not making locomotives.  Apple not even worth trying to compare that to a small company like MTH or Lionel.

Last edited by MartyE

Beings I will be waiting for the new car or whatever to be announced I recieved a pkg. today from Menards trains. 

Two of the new nose art cars and as a free bonus the two free cars with the travel buses which look better in person then they do in photos. The approx. 11" flat car also looks good. 

Dave

I driver for an LTL company, move a lot of pallets. It's all too uncommon to see shipments getting split up. With LTL the more time it gets touched on a dock the more likely damage or pallets getting lost is likely. 

I can really understand the delay. No trains on my truck today though. Just shock absorbers, air filters, electrical panels and fiberglass molds

keep up the great work menards!

Menards posted:
JD2035RR posted:

Mark, 

Could we get another hint while we wait?  You're the best, thanks!

JD

Let's see here.

We know it's something to do with Santa Fe and it has electronic components.

That may be the end of my hints.

As I heard in San Francisco many times, when I was there... the end is near.. LOL..

scale rail posted:

David, reform school does not count as college. LOL

Don

Some reform schools better prepare their students for the real world than do colleges, by offering training in real-world skills like TIG welding or modern auto repair ... skills with which to earn a living.  Something a little higher up the reality ladder than "Homeless Social Skills 101".

Last edited by Kerrigan
Kerrigan posted:
scale rail posted:

David, reform school does not count as college. LOL

Don

Some reform schools better prepare their students for the real world than do colleges, by offering training in real-world skills like TIG welding or modern auto repair ... skills with which to earn a living.  Something a little higher up the reality ladder than "Homeless Social Skills 101".

Agree.  I am a highly educated liberal academic, and retired dean of high school technical education.  Had high school plumbers and carpenters coming to me with tax problems, because they were making so much money.  They could have later done "African Studies" at Harvard, or worse, "Psychology, the new Religion."  Anyway, they were doing alright for themselves.  At least, they never had to complain that no one would hire them, despite their college degree. 

I remember a well known education author commenting in one of the journals, "I'm only half educated.  I still can't fix my own faucets."

Just saying...and seriously, still hoping for that Santa Fe caboose.

Jerry

paul 2 posted:

Today is Sunday and tomorrow is Monday which means the announcement will be made as to what has kept us on the edge of our seats so long. Actually I had been on the edge so long I fell off. Picked myself up, brushed myself off and sat back down again. Hurry Monday......................Paul

I thought all the releases were normally on Tuesday! So I think you will have to wait one more day if not more Paul! Sorry Brother but the truth sometimes hurts!

Hey Guys,

I thought I’d bring you up to speed with the ongoing saga of our “8/1” O gauge release.

The container came into port at Prince Rupert (British Columbia) last week where it was promptly loaded onto a rail car. Unfortunately, the load had to be placed onto a second rail car because the original car had mechanical issues.

After leaving the port, the load has taken multiple train services and ended up going south through Winnipeg, which is good because the load was heading in the right direction...up until this point at least! However, to make things a little more interesting, the train which was supposed to make it's delivery in Stevens Point (Wisconsin), continued onto Chicago (for whatever reason).

Once the load arrived in Chicago late last week, it was sent back to Eau Claire the following morning.

All this drama provides us with an interesting glimpse into the workings of the real life railroad. We think we are on the home stretch here, so keep an eye out for the announcement within the next couple of days.

Thanks!
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.