Skip to main content

Of course nothing's final until the catalogue comes out.  However, today during the tour at the Lionel Red Carpet event we were told that the VisionLine offering this year will be the Big Boy with whistle steam and blow down effect. 

Additionally, a scale gold plated version of the Polar Express Berkshire will be released celebrating the 10th anniversary of the movie. There will also be a new diesel version of the Polar Express.  An American Flyer version of the Polar Express will be available as well. 

Hope this information is well received. The red carpet event was great and I highly recommend you try attending this event in the future. There were some VERY good deals. As for me, I walked away with a VisionLine Norfolk Southern Genset Switcher for only $476.00. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jacob:

Thanks for the preview. A gold plated 1225 Berkshire, sounds like a collector item to be placed on a mantle or shelf. I am not sure that is what many who were hoping for a remake of the 1225 were looking for. It will be interesting to see how popular this engine turns out to be. I don't think many would consider running it as part of their Christmas layouts.

Should be interesting to follow this item.

Originally Posted by Jacob:
Originally Posted by jojofry:
Did they have any es44s there forsale?

I believe I saw some, but can't be 100% positive since I wasn't looking for them. 

No there was none. I did pick up a couple AC6000 from the CSX Heritage series for $328 each. There was not too many diesels offered.

Thanks.  Vision Big Boy: interesting.   I was actually running the JLC Big boy this afternoon.  The Vision Challenger is a little better than it with regard to sound, but not that much better anywhere else I can tell.  Lionel will have a tall order to exceed the JLC version enough to justify someone buying one: whistle steam and blow down alone won't do it for me.  

Originally Posted by Patrick H:

No pennsy fan -Just what I heard, But i can say N&W steam and rolling stock has been completely neglected .(unless you count the fantasy mallet)   WHERES THE BEEF?(Z1a or b) 

The new Neil Young signature series Legacy CC Penna. F-3 passenger set looked sharp.

Originally Posted by paulp:

Lionel's next Vision line Big Boy will NOT be in this years catalog and it is planned to be available in Early 2014. It will have the features like the Challenger with a speaker in the Engine.

Paul, that may be correct. The conversation I had was around the "next" VisionLine and I just assumed it would be in the April catalogue. We all know what happens when one assumes . They did mention the speaker in the engine to me as well.

Did I miss anything else about future engines?  I feel like there was one more but I can't remember exactly. I know it was a remake of a popular diesel with Legacy included but wasn't scale. Since I only run scale engines, I did not retain that information very well. 

Originally Posted by Jacob:
Originally Posted by paulp:

Lionel's next Vision line Big Boy will NOT be in this years catalog and it is planned to be available in Early 2014. It will have the features like the Challenger with a speaker in the Engine.

Paul, that may be correct. The conversation I had was around the "next" VisionLine and I just assumed it would be in the April catalogue. We all know what happens when one assumes . They did mention the speaker in the engine to me as well.

Did I miss anything else about future engines?  I feel like there was one more but I can't remember exactly. I know it was a remake of a popular diesel with Legacy included but wasn't scale. Since I only run scale engines, I did not retain that information very well. 

I want to say that it sounded like the H-7 & Y-3 may have the whistle steam effect.

There was one steam engine on top of a table on the left hand side as we entered into that room that was undecorated and nothing was said about it but it looked like a streamlined 4-8-4 but it may have been one of the GS steamers.

I know I'm missing something but at some point it will hit. The 8 hr. drive home has me a little tried right now.

I think a VL Big Boy would be cool, I have the JLC which is impressive.  The exact same engine with the VL Challenger effects can only be better!  Especially if Lionel gets the whistle right, with that incredibly deep note emanating from a boiler speaker and the tender will be awesome!  The videos I have seen of big boys show several streams of steam pouring out of the top of the engine.  I hope Lionel has multiple dynamo (or whatever the actual appliance was) openings to create the same look!

Did anyone ask if the Vision Line effects like whistle steam will continue to trickle down to non-Vision Line Legacy models?  Obviously that did not happen with the several of the latest high end (expensive) Legacy engines.  I wonder if that is how it is going to be moving forward.  Anyone have any insight?  I for one hope that Lionel goes back to putting whistle steam into non-Vision Line engines.

thanks

Originally Posted by ed h:
Originally Posted by Patrick H:

Legacy Pennsy S2 turbine ?

Be careful for what you wish for, you many just get it, or 3 or 4 for that matter.

No wish for me(but i ll buy one), just  a really good "guess". Still dreaming of some big Legacy N&W steam like many others. Id "guess" a cab forward as well late in the year ,beginning of next.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.