Skip to main content

"HONGZ" stands for HO scale, N scale, G scale, and Z scale.

Post your non-O scale stuff here!

i was telling this cute college girl riding the train with me that i had plans for building a 7.5 gauge railroad in my backyard and she thought i was adorable if i'm getting a reaction like this then I really want one 

i totally didn't expect her to react like that because girls don't usually dig guys with model trains 

its a pitty i never got her name

and this is the theme song for my railroad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSLsHo5WSLo

Last edited by paigetrain
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CAPPilot posted:

She probably thought you were rich.

Reminds me of many years ago, when we lived in town and had a small loop of track around our house for our 12" gauge trains.  An older couple stopped by and said that they wanted to get one of these trains for their grandchildren.  No "Hello" or introduction, just wanted to know where to get a train.  I started talking about building vs buying and asking some questions about what they had in mind.  I was trying to be polite, but I guess something I said about building everything yourself being the most economical way to get started didn't sit well with the lady.  She gave me a LOOK and firmly said, "When it comes to our grandchildren, money is no object!"  Well, with that in mind I started talking about prices on ready-to-run 7.5" gauge trains & track that they could buy off-the-shelf, both new and used.  The look on both of their faces quickly changed, and the lady interrupted me to tell me that they thought they could get a "set-up" like mine for a few hundred dollars!  I (politely) informed them that just a loop of track like mine would cost them more than that, and that didn't include the train.  As far as I know, they did not buy a "set-up" like mine for their grandchildren.

Don't get me wrong, I always try to be encouraging when I talk to someone who is interested in the hobby of rideable trains.  I do my best to be polite, especially in situations like those.  However, there is a certain cost to owning such a train; although the dollar amount can be reduced if a person is willing to put in enough time and effort into building it themselves.  So PaigeTrain, I look forward to seeing your progress... if you want it bad enough, and are willing to put in the work, you will eventually get it done!

103and205NviewEnginehouse4-18-2011

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 103and205NviewEnginehouse4-18-2011
WindupGuy posted:
CAPPilot posted:

She probably thought you were rich.

Reminds me of many years ago, when we lived in town and had a small loop of track around our house for our 12" gauge trains.  An older couple stopped by and said that they wanted to get one of these trains for their grandchildren.  No "Hello" or introduction, just wanted to know where to get a train.  I started talking about building vs buying and asking some questions about what they had in mind.  I was trying to be polite, but I guess something I said about building everything yourself being the most economical way to get started didn't sit well with the lady.  She gave me a LOOK and firmly said, "When it comes to our grandchildren, money is no object!"  Well, with that in mind I started talking about prices on ready-to-run 7.5" gauge trains & track that they could buy off-the-shelf, both new and used.  The look on both of their faces quickly changed, and the lady interrupted me to tell me that they thought they could get a "set-up" like mine for a few hundred dollars!  I (politely) informed them that just a loop of track like mine would cost them more than that, and that didn't include the train.  As far as I know, they did not buy a "set-up" like mine for their grandchildren.

Don't get me wrong, I always try to be encouraging when I talk to someone who is interested in the hobby of rideable trains.  I do my best to be polite, especially in situations like those.  However, there is a certain cost to owning such a train; although the dollar amount can be reduced if a person is willing to put in enough time and effort into building it themselves.  So PaigeTrain, I look forward to seeing your progress... if you want it bad enough, and are willing to put in the work, you will eventually get it done!

103and205NviewEnginehouse4-18-2011

As soon as she stated money is no object, you should have had her sign a contract to buy your set-up. You could have added the standard installation fees too. With the half million dollars, you could have started all over again!!

You must be more patient than I am. I wouldn't have been so nice after that interruption.

paigetrain posted:

...she thought i was adorable...

I hate to break it to you, but typically when a girl says that, you've been zoned.  I've never known a college girl to use adorable as a positive thing, unless it's about a dog, cat, or baby.

And it's not cheap at all.  I've already got rolling stock, but don't have track around my house because of the price.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.