Skip to main content

Originally Posted by CWEX:

She would look like this......

ENLARGE-844%20at%20Alco%201944_tif

upfef003

Not exactly, Chis. In 1955, 844 was up-graded with the Worthington Type S Feedwater System. So, if someone wants to "back date" the 844 to her "as delivered" appearance, they will have to remove the Worthington System and re-install the original Sellers Exhaust Steam Injector system. Oh, and don't forget that 844 was a coal burner in that photo of her in 1944!

One man's coffee is another man's tea......but I really like the NKP Berks and equivalents without the Mars Light.  They look cleaner/less cluttered, IMHO.

However, I think the 844 looks better WITH her Mars light.  Granted, it may just be that I'm used to seeing her that way.  Personally, I think that her large boiler front just seems to absorb the Mars light better.  Maybe it's just the way the red light contrasts with the grey/graphite boiler front?

Again, just my opinion......

Originally Posted by Hot Water:

Not exactly, Chis. In 1955, 844 was up-graded with the Worthington Type S Feedwater System. So, if someone wants to "back date" the 844 to her "as delivered" appearance, they will have to remove the Worthington System and re-install the original Sellers Exhaust Steam Injector system. Oh, and don't forget that 844 was a coal burner in that photo of her in 1944!

Ahh your right...I knew about her being delivered as a coal burner but forgot about the upgrade to the Worthington system.  Thanks for the clarification.  It is amazing how different the FEF's looked when delivered.

Chris

Originally Posted by lshark21:
Originally Posted by Larry Mullen:

And what was the reason to convert them to oil?  Were more western locomotives converted to oil than those that ran in the east? - a question by my young nephew.

iirc It was because of the hot cinders that started fires in the dry areas of the west.

Nope! All the UP FEF class 4-8-4s were converted to oil burning, fairly quickly in 1945, for two main reasons:

1) An impending coal miner's strike!

2) The exhaust gasses from an oil burner were easier to filter out of the new air conditioning systems on the new streamlined passenger equipment, than the soot and coal dust from the coal burners. Wayside fires were NOT an issue back in the steam days, since all those 4-12-2s, 4-8-2s, 2-8-2s 4-6-6-4s and 4-8-8-4s, which still burned coal, kept the right-of-way pretty well "burnt clean", between Omaha and Ogden!

Originally Posted by Dominic Mazoch:

Now, what are those round silver things which seem to be recently attached to the boiler?

Those are stainless steel "dog food bowls" that are placed at each wash-out plug. Also, don't forget to look for all the bright polished fasteners/bolts all over the jacketing!

Talk about BLING!!!!!

OK, those SS dog food bowls just does not do justice to the look of the engine.

could spend the money to get the 3895 going!

I agree guys.  I understand everyone has their own likes and dislikes and many like her current appearance but to me with the whitewalls and all the stainless it just looks like a "trailer queen" and not an active UP FEF.  It's like pimp my locomotive......  She belongs black.... to me anyhow.  Uhhh I miss Steve Lee......

Chris

We have just installed a hydraulic suspension modification on the 765. This will enable us to make her jump up and down like some of the modded cars can do these days. 

We have also spent almost $10,000 on 42,674 multi-color LED's which will be placed under the locomotive and tender all around the frame, to give her that pimped out, all-bling glow. We have also installed a Bluetooth electronic controller that can change the color of the LED's from an iPad or iPhone.

We will announce a night photo session soon. 

I'm just not sure with the last "upgrade" you guys made was prototypical.

Originally Posted by OGR Webmaster:

We have just installed a hydraulic suspension modification on the 765. This will enable us to make her jump up and down like some of the modded cars can do these days. 

We have also spent almost $10,000 on 42,674 multi-color LED's which will be placed under the locomotive and tender all around the frame, to give her that pimped out, all-bling glow. We have also installed a Bluetooth electronic controller that can change the color of the LED's from an iPad or iPhone.

We will announce a night photo session soon. 

low rider

Attachments

Images (1)
  • low rider

The more I think about the removal of the Mars light on 844 while in Omaha confuses even more (which doesn't take much at times).  One simple question, why would it not have been removed while in Cheyenne while it is stored there prior to the trip to Omaha?  Surely this was not some spur of the moment thing I wouldn't think.  I guess they could have put it into a box and hauled it back to Cheyenne for safe keeping???  Anybody else have any thoughts, strange for sure.

Ken

Originally Posted by Ken in Nebraska:

The more I think about the removal of the Mars light on 844 while in Omaha confuses even more (which doesn't take much at times).  One simple question, why would it not have been removed while in Cheyenne while it is stored there prior to the trip to Omaha?  Surely this was not some spur of the moment thing I wouldn't think.  I guess they could have put it into a box and hauled it back to Cheyenne for safe keeping???  Anybody else have any thoughts, strange for sure.

Ken

Didn't she get a new smoke box door this year?...maybe there was an issue with the mount...?

Chris

While it's attached here, it's the first time I've seen a picture with the Mars light on.

mars light on

That is the Denver Post, Cheyenne Frontier Days Special, and during the turning operation in Denver, and brake test, the air usually goes into emergency, thus turning on the red Mars Warning light. Once the air is recovered, the Engineer resets the Mars light.

I'm in PA so I think it might be quite a drive to the nearest town, but it's something I need to do.  Sorry, I was too vague given the title of the thread.  I was actually wanting the measurement of the main headlight. 

Thanks.

Does anyone know how far (roughly) the distance is between the back edge of the headlight to the surface of the smoke box door?  

Thanks.

I guess the next time UP brings 844 to a town near you, you could go down and ask one of the crew members to measure it for you, assuming they reinstall the red Mars Warning Light.

Last edited by Larry Mullen
I'm in PA so I think it might be quite a drive to the nearest town, but it's something I need to do.  Sorry, I was too vague given the title of the thread.  I was actually wanting the measurement of the main headlight. 

Thanks.

Then I suggest that you contact the Union Pacific Historical Society, and purchase the drawing/drawings for the headlight mounting on the FEF-3 class locomotives. One way or another the UPHS should be able to help you.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.