Skip to main content

@BillYo414 posted:

IMG_20220107_201202831IMG_20220107_201152919

I don't know what magic they used for the firebox but it looks amazing. I have no power to this engine in the attached photos. Pretty wild stuff.

I also noticed a piece of plastic under the plate that sits on the tender from the cab (I can't think of the real name). That's a nice touch.

Very nice! I believe the term you are looking for is tender deck plate.

Lionel moves in mysterious ways...  Look at how many Pennsy Turbines Lionel sold over the decades, an unsuccessful locomotive that was scrapped after six years.

Rusty

The S2 was not scrapped for purely operational reasons.  The S2 was competitive on longer routes where it could maintain speed (above 40mph), plus it was a crowd pleaser.  Its high appetite at low speeds could have been solved if it were not for the arrival of diesels.  It was scrapped because of turbine damage in 1949, and to the Pennsy's bean counters it did not make since to fix it.

Why did Lionel decide to make it?  Like the 2-10-10-2, it is an awesome locomotive.

Here's my 3001 I just got.  Ignore the mess in the background layout is still a WIP. 

Very beautiful model, the blow down and whistle are strong smokers, and the bell looks amazing swinging, I love the stereo sounds and the detail is top notch!

I like that this is not only a strange obscure engine, but it also is from the early 1910s which most of the o gauge engines (not all) today come from the 20s-50s so it's also unique in that respect

Attachments

Videos (1)
Lionel Vision 2-10-10-2 quick demo
@BillYo414 posted:

IMG_20220107_201202831IMG_20220107_201152919

I don't know what magic they used for the firebox but it looks amazing. I have no power to this engine in the attached photos. Pretty wild stuff.

I also noticed a piece of plastic under the plate that sits on the tender from the cab (I can't think of the real name). That's a nice touch.

Yeah, the deck plate has been something that has been improved quite a bit. The CCII Niagara's one was diecast, which broke as easily as snapping a toothpick. Since then many improvents have come about, the plastic to cut out(hopefully) metal on metal rubbing. I don't remember if Lionel was the first to do that or not as my first time seeing it was a video on Eric's Trains a good number of years ago(maybe VL Hudson).

Great looking locomotive, that much is sure. Be a bit before I get mine even though it is in. I have a few other engines and such ahead of that which must come home first. 😊

Apologies for the phone not being in landscape mode. I usually do this, but with holding the legacy remote in my right hand trying to access the features and my phone on my left hand its difficult to get landscape and keep the phone from shifting when I press and release the record button. I made the video above initially for only myself and originally did not intend to post on ogr forum which explains the lack of quality.

Aside from that have you guys opened up the boiler front and seen that there was actual detail in there? I can get photos, but its cool to see!!

@BillYo414 I believe what a steam "blow down" is usually for is to release steam from the boiler at the end of the run before cleaning the firebox and putting the engine to sleep.  I'm not sure if this blowdown is for that or if it might be for releasing condensation from the boiler similar to a cylinder cock.  I bet the steam experts here will probably weigh in much better than I!

Best,

Gino Fabbricante

@BillYo414 posted:

I knew it cleaned out the boiler but I wasn't sure if when they did it @Gino Fabbricante. It looks like it works very well on this model! Thank you for posting the video!

How often depends on the RR and who you ask. Blowing down is used to release scale from the mud ring and any other foreign substances. On Live steam models, this would also serve as a way to drop the boiler pressure and “shut down” the locomotive. On the prototype they would instead drop the fire, build a small warming fire (to keep some boiler pressure), and build a new fire for when the locomotive is called for a train.
Onto how often they blowdown. It usually is done after the locomotive is steamed for the day. Other times, it is done at clearings (bridges, fields, etc.) or certain locations. For the Santa Fe, and all other RRs, engineers would blowdown for how ever many miles traveled. Here is a great video of a SF engineer driving a 3460 class that mentions their blowdown procedure.

How often depends on the RR and who you ask. Blowing down is used to release scale from the mud ring and any other foreign substances. On Live steam models, this would also serve as a way to drop the boiler pressure and “shut down” the locomotive. On the prototype they would instead drop the fire, build a small warming fire (to keep some boiler pressure), and build a new fire for when the locomotive is called for a train.
Onto how often they blowdown. It usually is done after the locomotive is steamed for the day. Other times, it is done at clearings (bridges, fields, etc.) or certain locations. For the Santa Fe, and all other RRs, engineers would blowdown for how ever many miles traveled. Here is a great video of a SF engineer driving a 3460 class that mentions their blowdown procedure.

I learned a lot from this video - I never realized that the crew was so active every minute.

I just pull the lever to make 'em go.

Thanks for sharing Trainmaster04!

@jhz563 posted:

@Trainmaster04

Thanks for sharing that video!  Its easy to romanticize steam and forget how complicated the operation can really be.  Although,  a beast that size pounding away at 93 mph would be a sight to see!

Pretty awesome video!

I'm looking at this engine and wondering what half the pipes and stuff are even for. I'm considering posting a topic with lots of arrows asking what all this stuff is. I get the basic idea of how a steamer works. But I don't know what all this extra stuff is.

@BillYo414 posted:

Not that I broke anything, but when does Lionel post the exploded parts diagram stuff to the website? I don't want to take mine apart before warranty ends but I'm curious to see the innards of the locomotive. Sometimes the exploded parts view gives an idea of orientation inside.

Your best bet would probably use the original 2-10-10-2 parts view for now.
https://www.lionelsupport.com/...9b-a360-659e0d29ff64

@BillYo414 posted:

I hope it's good @Trainmaster04. And thanks! I didn't think of that.

Happy to help! Unfortunately, all is not well. I got the engine on the tracks and overall, it is stunning on the outside! On the inside, well. The board fried after a couple of minutes into its break in run. In the video you can see it smokes a tone, runs smoothly, and then dies at the end. I got close to the locomotive and I smelt the dreaded fried electronic smell.

Attachments

Videos (1)
trim.B1ABA5AB-E754-4DBE-9438-A6C09EA1394D

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.