Skip to main content

It has been 3 years since I had trains running on my layout, so I have a lot of catching-up to do. I was bummed 3-years ago because MTH was going out of business. My trains are 98% MTH Rail King, and my track is MTH Real Trax. I was also annoyed by some track and electrical continuity issues, and dealing with MTH battery replacements. So I walked away and went to work on my Model "A" Fords instead.

The great news since I am back into railroading is that MTH is alive. Where do I go to find whats available in Rail King? The OGR Forum is another learning experience. I do not recognize, but I am learning how to navigate the new Forum architecture.

My work table is a mess of incomplete projects: Making battery replacements with super caps; Restoring MTH bumper trolley cars; Converting passenger cars to LED lighting; Fixing / modifying track switches.

Enough bellyaching! It's good to be back on the OGR Forum!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MTH is still in business, yes, but merely to provide small runs from existing tooling. Most of the releases are for hobby shops interested in custom runs.

Subscribing to the MTH emails is the obvious first choice, but you can also scan this particular forum daily for announcements from MTH on those releases.

Keep in mind that if something interests you, you had better preorder quickly. The production runs are truly limited and based strictly on preorders. MTH has no sizable warehouse anymore, so there is no stock waiting for dealers to order.

Last edited by Jim R.

@BobbyOgauge

Bobby:

First, I want to echo all of the previous replies and also say that it is great to have you back on the forum.

As to MTH batteries dying, I recommend that you replace all of your batteries with BCR's, battery component replacements. The BCR's are capacitors that are shaped like they batteries used in the MTH Proto Sound locomotives. There are two kinds, the BCR for a 9 volt system and the BCR2 for a 2.5 (3) volt system. They are energized by track power and actually hold a charge for quite a while. All of this is explained on the web site. I run a LOAD of MTH engines and I LOVE the BCR!!!!

Since the company that makes the BCR does not appear to be an OGR Forum advertiser, I cannot post the link on the forum. My E-Mail address is my forum profile. Send me an E-Mail with the subject reading "BCR?" and I will send you the link to the BCR web site.

Again, welcome back to O gauge model railroading and the OGR Forum.

J&W Electronics is the maker of the BCR and in fact advertises in both the print magazine as well as in the digital edition.  Since they advertise and are the sole manufacturer of the BCR, here is their website address:

www.jandwelectronics.com

One thing I've always liked about this hobby is the way you can simply walk away from the basement for several months or years, and when you come back, you pick up right where you left off. Was the case with me for roughly 8 years, save for the occasional oddball running session. Decided to finally revamp my entire collection and layout in 2020. Welcome back!

Last edited by jaketrainz

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.